Power 20:20 | August 2015
Most innovative power company (renewable power) (private sector) - Punjab Renewable Energy Systems Pvt. Ltd (Bermaco subsidiary)
Punjab Renewable Energy Systems Pvt. Ltd (PRESPL) was established in March 2011, with an aim to address the principal issue of biomass fuel supply management and looks into aggregation, processing, transportation and supply, to biomass-based power plants and process plants having boilers. PRESPL is the largest player in organized biomass fuel supply business in India, handling over 1,000 tonne (of various biomasses such as paddy straw, cane trash, maize cob, bagasse, cotton stalk, briquetted form of various biomasses etc) per day. Due to PRESPL´s innovative model, many power plants which were shut or operating at low PLF, are now operating at high PLF, leading to sustainable operations. PRESPL acts as a single point of source for all fuel needs of the power plant and provides guarantees for biomass fuel quantity and quality. Further, the biomass supply chain management has directly led to employment and income generation in rural economies.
Unique biomass model
- PRESPL enters into long term fuel supply agreement with clients on a pre-decided price and schedule of fuel supply for the calendar year, granting quantity and quality of fuel for parameters such as moisture, gross calorific value etc. It acts as a single point solution for all fuel needs of the client, due to which, the plant does not need to be bothered about biomass collection.
- Due to establishment of fuel supply chain management, plants are able to operate at design PLF in the range of 70- 80 per cent, which results in profitable and sustainable plant operations.
- Lending to biomass power projects becomes easier for financial institutions due to fuel linkage and biomass fuel supply security owing to their expertise in supply chain management.
- PRESPL is the only company in the organized sector of biomass aggregation and supply in India. Witnessing the growth prospects of PRESPL in the biomass space, a multinational private equity fund has picked up minority equity stake in the company.
- PRESPL has become the ´Centre of Excellence´, and been approached by other private entities/ entrepreneurs to provide technical assistance and consultancy services for setting up of biomass fuel supply businesses.
- The PRESPL team does research and interactions with other worldwide players and has prepared a ´Knowledge Management System´ on business models/best practices for biomass supply.
- In short span of about four years, PRESPL has served more than 20 biomass power and process plants, and has collected, processed and supplied more than 300,000 mt of various biomasses.
- PRESPL provides an additional source of revenue to farmers through the sale of feedstock, which otherwise used to be burnt/left in open fields, leading to deadly particulate and methane emissions. This additional income helps farmers purchase seeds, fertilizers, etc. for the next crop, improves their lifestyle, and expenditure on health and education.
- For collection, storage and supply of biomass, many tractors, trolleys and other farming equipments are also involved with local farmers, which results in additional use and source of income to the locals.
- Income and employment generation to the rural chain involves Village Level Entrepreneurs, farmers and rural youth. In fact, many unemployed rural youth find opportunities either as VLEs or unskilled labour involved with biomass harvesting, processing, storage and transportation.
- This creates skilled and semi-skilled manpower in rural India with ´On the Job Training´.
At the end, PRESPL´s biomass aggregation and supply business model is innovative and is the need of the hour for sustainable operations of biomass power and process plants in India. It has directly led to renewable heat and power generation, which is environmental-friendly and prevents GHH, particulate and carbon-monoxide emissions. The business of biomass supply has an immense positive contribution to the rural economy of India in terms of income and employment generation to farmers, VLEs and rural youth. Further, it also leads to development of other value added products such as bio-fuels etc. and establishment of small scale industries such as briquetting plants etc.
||Punjab Renewable Energy Systems Pvt. Ltd. |
||Private Limited Company |