Cover Story | August 2014
Power 20:20 | Tata Power
Most innovative power company (conventional power) (private sector) : Tata Power
Tata Power is India´s largest integrated power company with a growing international presence. The company together with its subsidiaries and jointly controlled entities has an installed gross generation capacity of 8,560 MW in India and a presence in all the segments of the power sector viz., fuel security, logistics and generation.
Key Success Factors
- Generation: It has drawn up an ambitious roadmap to expand its presence across the power value chain to empower and positively impact the lives of each and every stakeholder. With a customer base of 1.9 million, the company plans to have 18,000 MW generation capacity, 4,000 MW of distribution, 25 million tonnes per annum of energy resources and 10-x growth in value added businesses by 2022. The company is also constantly innovating to ensure that stakeholder expectations are exceeded.The 4,000 MW Mundra UMPP is the first of the UMPPs that heralds the entry of 800 MW supercritical boiler technology in India, which is environment friendly and efficient. The total power generation capacity of Tata Power currently stands at 8,560 MW.
- Use of fuel: Many companies use different ways of saving coal consumption, of which the latest company to join the list has been TATA Power. It uses 20 different types of coal in its UMPP in Mundhra (Rajasthan) without sacrificing efficiency. This project saves 1.7 million tonnes of coal per year, thus averting carbon emissions of almost 4 million tonnes annually.
- Fuel supply: Spread over a number of pits in South Kalimantan, Indonesia, the Arutmin mine had started posing production and cost viability challenges in its operations. Thus Tata Power, through its wholly-owned subsidiaries, signed an agreement to sell its 30 per cent stake in Arutmin and associated companies in coal trading and infrastructure, to a Bakrie Group entity. The aggregate consideration for Tata Power´s 30 per cent stake was approximately $500 million, subject to certain closing adjustments. The sale is subject to certain conditions and restructuring actions, which the company targets to complete soon.
- Focus area: Geothermal energy is a key focus area for the company, as it has the potential to create large capacities co-existing with a much lower carbon impact and is available 24x7 unlike other renewable energy sources. Tata Power is pursuing this through an investment of $50 million for a 10 percent stake in Australian company Geodynamics. Recently, Tata Power along with its consortium partners, Australian company Origin Energy and PT Supraco Indonesia, won the bid for a 240 MW geothermal project in Indonesia which is under development.
- 126 MW Dagachhu Project.
- Partnership with SN Power.
- 1600 MW Coastal Maharashtra Project.
- Tiruldih Power Project, Jharkhand (3 X 660 MW).
- 660 MW Naraj Marthapur, Orissa.
- 652.5 MW Kalinganagar thermal project.
- 236 MW Dugar Hydro Project.
- Tata Power Group´s consolidated revenue crossed Rs 35,000 crore.
- Touched 8584 MW capacity mark with 1.9 million customers across the country, reinforcing its position as India´s largest integrated power company.
- The company generated 42,809 MUs of power from all its power plants.
- Concluded rights issue of Rs 1,993.38 crore, oversubscribed by 1.96 times.
|Parameter ||Details |
||TATA Power |
||Public Ltd Company |
||Electric Utility |
||Electrical Power |
||Rs. 8,627 cr |
||Rs. 8054 cr |
|Key financial parameters ||FY 2013-14 ||FY 2012-13 |
||Rs. 8,627.04 cr
||Rs. 10,288 cr |
||Rs. 1,723 cr |
||Rs. 2,554 cr
||Rs. 2,024 cr |
||Rs. 868 cr
||Rs. 678 cr |
||Rs. 587 cr
||Rs. 364 cr |
||Rs. 954 cr
||Rs. 1,024 cr |
||Rs. 3.44 |
Advertise Here [300 W x 250 H pixels]
17 Oct 2016
I wish to start pvc / pp electric wire unit in Delhi. What kind of information I can get if I subscribe for your magazine
Sarfaraj Bilakhiya Says:
20 Sep 2016
Pls invite me all auction in gujarat
20 Jun 2016
we are doing business developing for solar power ,thermal power , customer supporting and we have 45 mw splar power on hand needs investors.....
pls call +910842559230