Cover Story | August 2014
Power 20:20 | Torrent Power
Distribution companies with best profitability (private discom) : Torrent Power
With ventures in power generation, transmission and distribution, Torrent is known for its reliability and efficiency and continues to deliver enhanced value through its technology upgradation and customer care initiatives.
The high points of Torrent´s foray into power, however, were the acquisitions of two of India´s oldest utilities - The Surat Electricity Company Ltd and The Ahmedabad Electricity Company Ltd. Torrent turned them into first rate power utilities comparable with the best, in terms of operational efficiencies and reliability of power supply. Torrent has a generation capacity of 1647.5 MW and distributes power to more than 3 million customers annually in Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Surat, Bhiwandi and Agra. The company is currently implementing a 1,200 MW gas-based power project at Dahej in South Gujarat. The project, called the DGEN Power Project, is being implemented in a phased manner starting with a 400 MW first phase. It is also in the process of expanding the capacity of its SUGEN plant near Surat. The project is expected to be completed in the second quarter of FY 2014-15.
Key Success Factors
- Generation: A unique mix of coal and gas based power plants that uses the latest power generation technologies ensures high thermal efficiency. It has plans to augment its generating capacity and is in the process of adding a standalone unit of 382.5 MW named UNOSUGEN at the existing SUGEN site and setting up a 1,200 MW Greenfield DGEN mega power project based on gas at Dahej SEZ, near Bharuch.
- Distribution: It transmits and distributes more than 12 billion units of power to around 2.2 million customers in the cities of Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Surat and Bhiwandi spanning an area of 408 sq km and franchise area of 7,21 sq km. These cities are major industrial and commercial hubs. For the citizens of Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar and Surat, disruption in life due to power failures or outages are an unheard-of phenomenon thanks to the outstanding operational efficiency of Torrent Power. These cities also continue to stay insulated from electrical disturbances and voltage fluctuations. The T&D losses in Gujarat at 7.6 per cent are among the lowest in the country. A testimony of Torrent Power´s operational efficiency is the drastic reduction in T&D losses in Bhiwandi from a massive 48 per cent in January 2007 to the present 19.33 per cent.
- The 110 MW coal based E-station, part of AMGEN, has been successfully upgraded to 121 MW.
- The 1,200 MW Combined Cycle gas-based DGEN Mega Power Project at Dahej SEZ to be completed in the second quarter of FY 2014-15.
- Distributed 85.07 MUs to Dahej SEZ units during FY 2013-14
- The 110 MW coal based E station, part of AMGEN, has been successfully upgraded to 121 MW and synchronised with the grid on 21st October, 2013.
- The 382.5 MW gas based SUGEN mega power plant at Surat, started commercial operations on 4th April, 2013.
- Aggregate Technical & Commercial (AT&C) loss at Agra reduced to 43.47 per cent in FY 2013-14 from 51.26 per cent in FY 2012-13.
- DGEN and SUGEN 40 have been successfully registered with the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) under the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM).
- SUGEN 40 has been integrated with the Integrated Management System (IMS) certification of SUGEN covering ISO 9001:2008, ISO 50001:2011, ISO 14001:2004 and BS OHSAS 18001:2007.
- The uprating of E-station at Sabarmati to 121 MW from 110 MW was successfully completed and the station was synchronised with the grid on 21st October, 2013.
|Parameter ||Details |
||Torrent Power |
||Private enterprise |
||Electric Utility |
||Ahmedabad, India |
||Electricity Distribution |
||Rs. 8,817 cr |
|Key financial parameters ||FY 2013-14 ||FY 2012-13 |
|Total Revenue Income
||Rs. 8,817 cr
||Rs. 8,269 cr |
||Rs. 677 cr
||Rs. 8,269 cr |
||Rs. 1,458 cr
||Rs. 1,439 cr |
||Rs. 534 cr
||Rs. 407 cr |