Cover Story | August 2014
Power 20:20 | Praj Industries Ltd
Most innovative power company (renewable power) (private sector) : Praj Industries Ltd
What started off as an entrepreneurial venture three decades ago is considered to be India´s most successful biofuels company, taking biobased technologies from India to the world. Today, Praj offers innovative solutions for beverage alcohol and bioethanol plants, brewery, water & wastewater treatment plant, critical process equipment and systems and bioproducts. A globally leading company with over 600 references in more than 60 countries across five continents, Praj has acquired an international repute for responsible and reliable solutions.
Key Success Factors
- Technology: Technology research & development at Praj Matrix supports the following business lines:
- Alcohol & Brewery Business (AB) which is the core business of Praj.
- Emerging engineering business comprising Water Management & Critical Process Equipment Supplies (EB).
- Ethanol & brewery plants: Praj enjoys an unique position in the world of ethanol technology by virtue of its expertise which cuts across a variety of sugar to starch based feedstocks. Praj provides holistic solutions for various grades of ethanol (beverage, fuel, industrial, pharma and perfumery) and brewery plants encompassing range of technologies and systems for water & wastewater management.
- Water & wastewater treatment plants: Praj offers integrated water & wastewater treatment systems and has already made a beginning in the industrial sector with a wide range of solutions. This vertical addresses industrial applications for high quality water, complex effluent treatment including recycle, reuse and zero liquid discharge plants.
- Critical process equipment system: This vertical serves a wider sectoral requirement for high end equipment and systems finding application in the oil & gas, petrochemical, fertiliser and chemicals industries. India is emerging as a sourcing hub for engineered products, especially those which have a level of criticality in terms of material of construction, complexity of fabrication and standards & codes to be followed. Praj has demonstrated capabilities wherein it supplies critical process equipment & systems to a number of domestic and global players.
- High purity systems: Addressing the pharmaceutical, biotech and F&B sectors, Praj acquired Neela Systems (now Praj Hipurity Systems), a company engaged in providing high purity water and hygienic systems to the pharma industry. Praj plans to extend its footprints in the hygienic engineering and systems business. It has the capability of providing end-to-end solutions for the pharma, biotech, food & beverage sectors. This will be an area of special focus where Praj will deploy combined experience of Neela and Praj.
- Bio-products: Praj recently announced its entry into the biotech products business with launch of its livestock feed health & nutrition business. Other than this, Praj is also working with biochemicals and human health & nutrition products which are presently in different stages of development. The backbone of Praj´s technology development is Praj Matrix, the Innovation Center. Praj Matrix is working on bio-ethanol and biochemicals processes.
- Praj´s breakthrough technology helps to resolve textile pollution issue at Tirupur.
- Riopaila Castilla SA, Colombia contracts Praj for a large ethanol plant.
- Praj renames Neela Systems as Praj HiPurity Systems.
|Parameter ||Details |
||Praj Industries |
||Public Ltd Company |
||Rs. 782.69 cr |
|Key financial parameters ||FY 2013-14 ||FY 2012-13 |
||Rs. 782 cr
||Rs. 726 cr |
||Rs. 156 cr |
||Rs. 56.01 cr
||Rs. 54.84 cr |
||Rs. 0.22 cr
||Rs. 0.33 cr |
||Rs. 13.94 cr
||Rs. 12.89 cr |
||Rs. 62.41 cr
||Rs. 66.18 cr |
||Rs. 3.73 |