Power 20:20 | September 2016
Power 20:20 | Best selling power company in generation equipment - BHEL
Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) is owned by the Government of India. Established in 1964, BHEL is India´s largest power plant equipment manufacturer. The company has been earning profits continuously since 1971-72 and paying dividends uninterruptedly since 1976-77. BHEL entered into power equipment sector in 1982, to reduce its dependence on the power sector.
It developed the capability to produce a variety of electrical, electronic and mechanical equipments for all sectors, including transmission, transportation, oil and gas and other allied industries. It has been granted the prestigious Maharatna (big gem) status in 2013 by GoI for its outstanding performance.
It shares the elite Maharatna status with another six behemoth PSU companies.
- BHEL is engaged in the design, engineering, manufacturing, construction, testing, commissioning and servicing of a wide range of products, systems and services for the core sectors of the economy, viz. power, transmission, industry, transportation, renewable energy, oil & gas and defence.
- It is the 7th largest power equipment manufacturer in the world.
- It has network and infrastructure allowing it to execute more than 150 projects at sites across India and abroad.
- It has established the capability to deliver 20,000 MW pa of power equipment to address the growing demand for power generation equipment.
- It retained market leadership position during 2015-16 with 74 per cent share in the power sector.
- It also has been exporting its power and industry segment products and services for over 40 years.
- The cumulative overseas installed capacity of BHEL manufactured power plants exceeds 9,000 MW across 21 countries.
- BHEL´s investment in R&D is amongst the largest in the corporate sector in India. The company invested 1,252 crore on R&D in 2012-13, which is nearly 2.50 per cent of their turnover.
- It is one of the only four Indian companies and the only Indian PSE figuring in ´The Global Innovation 1000´ of Booz & Co., a list of 1,000 publicly traded companies which are the biggest spenders on R&D in the world.
- Growth Story
- BHEL's growth has been synchronous with achieving self-sufficiency in the indigenous manufacturing of heavy electrical equipment.
- Out of the available 35,000 MW per annum capacity for power plant equipment manufacturing in the country, BHEL alone constitutes a mammoth 20,000 MW per annum capacity. Adding to its achievements, BHEL has joined the elite club of select global giants having an installed base of over 170 GW of power generating equipment globally. BHEL also has a widespread overseas footprint in 78 countries with cumulative overseas installed capacity of BHEL manufactured power plants nearing 10,000 MW.
Awards and Recognitions
- Appreciation shield (June 2016) by the External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and the Union Minister of Water Resources Minister Uma Bharati for successful commissioning of Salma Dam project in Afghanistan.
- BHEL wins India Pride Award 2015-16 for Excellence in Heavy Industries.