Cover Story | August 2013
Power 20:20 | Adani Power Ltd
Adani Power was set up in 1996 with a vision to be the globally admired leader in integrated Infrastructure businesses with a deep commitment to nation building.
The first power transmission project of Adani Power was a 400KV Double Circuit Transmission System from the Mundra plant to Dehgam (432 Kms). It has been commissioned in record time. Adani has created the benchmark for the fastest completion of India's first private -ª 500kV HVDC (High Voltage Direct Current) transmission system, Mundra - Mohindergarh transmission line (989 kms). This HVDC transmission project is the largest of its kind, traversing three states i.e. Gujarat, Rajasthan and Haryana. This line carries affordable electricity from Adani's Mundra power plant to Mohindergarh in Haryana.
Adani has also succesfully completed the 400 kV Tiroda-Warora AC transmission line is being used to evacuate power from 3300 MW power plant at Tiroda, Maharashtra.
The company is also currently working on a 765 kV transmission corridor which will transmit power from Tiroda and other upcoming generators in eastern Maharashtra to western Maharashtra load centers.
Today Adani power has approximately 5500 circuit Kms of transmission lines connecting its Tiroda project in Maharashtra with Maharashtra grid.
Key Success Factors
The following are some success factors for Adani Power in future:
- Business synergy: Adani Power is involved in a number of businesses which are complementary to the transmission sector. One of the largest such businesses is the generation business which is growing rapidly and aims to touch 20,000 MW of growth by 2020. Similarly Adani Power is also involved in
- Transmission expertise: Adani has launched a number of new transmission projects over the years and has achieved substantial expertise in the transmission sector among private players. The company can use this to its advantage as it expands over the coming years.
- High cash flows: The Adani Group is one of India's leading business houses with revenue of about $8 billion for the financial year 2011-12. Funds of $12-15 billion are earmarked for investments over the next 7 years by the company.
- Adani has successfully constructed India's largest private HVDC system
- The company has nearly 5500 C Kms of transmission lines connecting the Tiroda Project
Adani Power has had a robust growth and excellent financials:
- During FY13, the company recorded a total income of Rs 6,868 crore, of which income from operation was Rs 6,333 crore and other income were Rs 535 crore.
- For the year FY13, Earnings Before Interest, Depreciation, Tax and Amortization (EBIDTA) was Rs 1,332 Crores.
- For the year FY13, Depreciation was Rs 1,138 crore, Interest and Finance charges were Rs 1,739 crore and Profit Before Tax (PBT) was Rs 1,545 crore.
- As on 31 March, 2013 the Net worth of the company was Rs 4,650 crore.