Cover Story | August 2014
Power 20:20 | Alstom T&D India
Best selling power equipment company (T&D) : Alstom T&D India
Alstom T&D India is a market leader in the Indian power transmission sector. It has a strong portfolio of products, solutions and services, comprising the entire range of transmission equipment up to Extra and Ultra High Voltages (765 kV and beyond), including Air-Insulated Switchgear (AIS), locally manufactured power transformers and Gas-Insulated Switchgear (GIS). It also provides power electronics solutions (HVDC, FACTS) to create super highways and offers highly advanced power management Smart Grid solutions for transmission and distribution, including renewable energies integration. With around 3,400 employees and eight world class manufacturing units, Alstom T&D India is future-ready to support the rapidly evolving transmission sector in India
Key Success Factors
- High voltage products: Alstom manufactures a full range of equipment for long-distance transmission at voltages up to 1,200 kV: switchgears for air-insulated substations (AIS) or gas-insulated substations (GIS), instrument transformers, circuit breakers, disconnectors, power transformers and substation automation solutions. - Preferred choice: Over 50 per cent of India's 765 kV Extra High Voltage substations are built with Alstom´s technology and solutions. This follows on from the huge number of 400/220/132/66 kV substations that the company has already built for India's Central as well as the State grids. Alstom is the first global manufacturer to localise production of spring operating high voltage circuit breakers up to 765 kV in India.
- AC substations: Alstom T&D India provides a comprehensive offering of AC and DC transmission systems, comprising substations ranging from 66 kV to 765 kV, for all the segments and power supplies for electro-intensive industries and infrastructure. The scope of work in a typical turnkey contract for such offerings include providing comprehensive solutions on design, system engineering, supply, installation, commissioning and testing of the systems, including setting up of substations.
- Grid automation: Alstom T&D India provides software solutions and platforms for grid control rooms and market management systems in charge of piloting and controlling the power grid, including: Energy Management Systems (EMS), Distribution Management Systems (DMS) and Market Management Systems (MMS).
- Power electronics: The company provides high performance applications for Alternative Current (AC)/Direct Current (DC) conversion and for the interconnection of DC and AC power in High Voltage (HV) and Medium Voltage (MV) grids, for different uses: long-distance HVDC lines (LCC or VSC), power quality stabilisation (FACTS), and DC converters for the connection of specific energy resources (offshore wind farms, MV renewable energy sources, battery storage, etc.).
- In the Western region, the company has won two contracts for supply, erection, testing and commissioning of 400 kV substation extension packages, including shunt reactors.
- The company will also supply 765 kV circuit breakers for various substations across India.
- The company will also provide 14 shunt reactors for Power GridÆs 765 kV electrical substations at Kanpur and Jhatikara in Uttar Pradesh.
- The company will also supply 765 kV shunt reactors for Padghe, Bhiwani, Aurangabad and Meerut substations and 400 kV reactors for Khandwa, Purnia, Gajuwaka, Bariapada and Bhiwani.
- AP Transco awarded two AIS substation projects of 400/220/132 kV.
|Parameter ||Details |
||Alstom T&D India Ltd |
||Public Limited Company |
||Transmission and distribution |
||Noida, Uttar Pradesh |
||Power Transformers, Circuit Breakers, Gas Insulated Switchgears, Instrument |
||Rs. 3,563 cr |
||Rs. 117 cr |
|Key financial parameters ||FY 2013-14 ||FY 2012-13 |
||Rs. 3,563 cr
||Rs. 3,167 cr |
||Rs. 3,214 cr
||Rs. 3,036 cr |
||Rs. 253 cr
||Rs. 181 cr |
||Rs. 87 cr
||Rs. 81 cr |
||Rs. 117 cr
||Rs. 84 cr |
||Rs. 3.52 |