Cover Story | August 2013
Power 20:20 | National Hydroelectric Power Corporation
Highest Growth Generation Company in the last year (Public Company Hydro Power): National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC)
India's largest Hydro Electric power company, NHPC was set up in 1975 for an integrated and efficient development of hydroelectric power in all aspects. NHPC has expanded its objects to include development of power in all its aspects through conventional and non-conventional sources in India and abroad.
As on date, NHPC has become the largest organisation for hydropower development in India, with capabilities to undertake all the activities from conceptualisation to commissioning in relation to setting up of hydro projects. NHPC is also planning to take Wind and Tidal wave projects in the country. It has an installation base of 5,295 MW from 14 hydropower stations on ownership basis including projects taken up in Joint Venture. Further, the company is engaged in the construction of 10 projects aggregating to a total installed capacity of 4502 MW.
Apart from its core business, NHPC is registered as a "Consultant" with World Bank (WB), Asian Development Bank (ADB), African Development Bank (AfDB), Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development (KFAED).
Key Success Factors
- Long-term generation capacity addition plans: NHPC has set a target to add 10,000 MW of generation capacity by 2017.
- Efficient billing mechanisms: NHPC has adopted a monthly billing cycle, 72% realization of the current dues has been achieved in the FY 2011-2012.
- Low costs of generation: As compared to other sources of generation, the costs are low as 20 paise per kW/h, along with lower O&M costs, the costs of generation are free from inflationary effects after the initial installation.
- Ease of funding: NHPC is among the top ten companies in the country in terms of investment, the company has an investment base of over Rs. 50,000 crore.
- Strong operating performance: NHPC's operating power stations generated 18,683 MUs of power during 2011-12, exceeding the annual MoU target of 18,500 MUs.
- The net profit has reduced to Rs. 2348.22 crores in FY 2012-13 from Rs 2771.77 crores in FY 2011-12.
- In the year 2011-12 NHPC has achieved its highest ever net Profit after tax of Rs 2771.77 cores.
- NHPC's shareholder's funds have increased to Rs 2,78,405 in FY 2012-13 as against 2,63,535 crores in 2011-12
- Largest Hydro Power generation company in the country
- Lists amongst the top ten companies in the country in terms of investment
- Cost of power generation is as low as 20 paise per kW/h