Power 20:20 | September 2016
Power 20:20 | Highest growth for conventional fuel company in public sector - Coal India Limited
Coal India Limited (CIL) is an Indian state-controlled coal mining company. It is the largest coal producer company in the world and contributes around 82 per cent of the coal production in India.
As on 14 October 2015, GoI owns 79.65 per cent of the shares in CIL and controls the operations of CIL through Ministry of Coal. In April 2011, CIL was conferred the Maharatna status by the Union Government of India. As on 14 October 2015, its market capitalisation was Rs.2.11 trillion ($31 billion) making it India's 8th most valuable company by market value.
- CIL is the largest coal producing company in the world. It produced 536.51 MT (million tonne) coal during FY2015-16, operating through 81 mining areas in eight states in India.
- As on 1 April 2015, it has 430 coal mines out of which 175 are open cast, 227 are underground and 28 are mixed mines.
- It operates 15 coal washeries, out of which 12 are for coking coal and 3 are for non-coking coal with 23.30 MTY and 13.50 MTY capacities respectively.
- It also manages 200 establishments like workshops, hospitals, training institutes, mine-rescue setups, etc.
- It produces coal through seven of its wholly owned subsidiaries - Eastern Coalfields Limited (ECL), Bharat Coking Coal Limited (BCCL), Central Coalfields Limited (CCL), Western Coalfields Limited (WCL), South-Eastern Coalfields Limited (SECL), Northern Coalfield Limited (NCL), and Mahanadi Coalfields Limited (MCL).
- Its 8th wholly owned subsidiary Central Mine Planning & Design Institute Limited (CMPDIL) provides exploration, planning and technical support to all the 7 production subsidiaries and third-party market clients.
- CIL also has a wholly owned subsidiary in Mozambique, Coal India Africana Limitada (CIAL) for pursuing coal mining opportunities in that country.
- International Coal Ventures Private Limited (ICVPL) was formed in 2009 for acquisition of coking coal properties outside India. CIL holds 27th share in paid up capital of ICVPL.
- CIL-NTPC Urja Pvt. Limited is a 50:50 JV between CIL and NTPC, formed in April 2010 for acquisition of coal blocks in India and abroad.