Power 20:20 | September 2016
Power 20:20 | Company with Highest Growth in Network creation in private sector - Sterlite Power
Sterlite Power Transmission Limited (Sterlite Power) was born out of the demerger of the power business from Sterlite Technologies in May 2016, based on investors´ feedback that the split would lead to value unlocking. It is a leader in providing integrated transmission solutions for the power sector globally and has three verticals -û products, system integration projects and infrastructure.
The company has four state-of-the art manufacturing assets in Odisha, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, and Uttarakhand and exports MV, HV and EHV power cables and power conductors, to over 40 countries. The company also undertakes bespoke MSI (master system integration) projects including upgrading, uprating,strengthening ring main and access networks etc., in power delivery space. And has also set up intra and interstate power transmission infrastructure (transmission grid) and is the largest private sector player in the segment.
- Sterlite is an innovator across its value chain. It is the first private sector transmission company in India to: a. Install 400 kV D/C line in India; b. Bag and execute 765 kV transmission project; c. Receive equity FDI for its infrastructure business.
- It became the first player to complete a power infrastructure project ahead of schedule with the RAPP transmission project almost a year of schedule in January 2016. The line evacuates power through a network of about 200 km long 400 kV double circuit line. this has strengthened power transfer capability from northern grid to western grid.
- It further commissioning the Jalandhar Samba Line, 14 months ahead of schedule. The project will deliver over 1,000 MW of electricity from Punjab to the Kashmir Valley, strengthening the national grid.
- It commissioned the Kharagpur-Chaibasa 400 kV D/C line covering 322 ckm, which has made an extra 600 MW available to load centres like Kolkata along the existing capacity.
- It delivered India´s first smart power transmission line in Goa by upgrading the four decade old 110 kV double circuit transmission line connecting sub-stations of Ponda, Tivim and Kadamba.
- It has supplied India´s first fiber integrated power cable (to BSES Rajdhani) - a game changer application for the advanced distribution companies as optical fiber reveals many hidden parameters of the power cables during operations.
- It became the first company to win award from Ministry of Power for meritorious performance for early execution of the Dhule sub-station.
- It became the first private sector company to raise AAA (SO) rated `1,000 crore infrastructure bond without any government guarantee.
- It was the first company to use helicopters for cable stringing on transmission towers, thereby reducing implementation time and also causing least disturbance to the land below.
- In another first in India´s transmission space, it implemented LiDAR survey (an aerial technology) for projects planning for greater accuracy.
- It conceptualised and co-created with Tata Power, the 3 core 66 kV power cable (global standard is 1 C 66 kV) for use in Tata Power´s transmission network for first time globally for terrestrial application. This cable has changed the way 66 kV underground cable installation is done in India.
- It has partnered with a Finnish drone service company, Sharper Shape to bring their automated inspection and maintenance planning services for infrastructure asset owners to India.