Cover Story | August 2014
Power 20:20 | PGCIL
Transmission companies that laid the most network last year (Central transco) : Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (PGCIL)
Power Grid Corporation of India has planned a capital investment of Rs 1,00,000 crore for development of an inter-State transmission system during the 12th Five Year Plan. The company has been assigned a corporate rating of ¨BBB¨ by international credit ratings agencies, Standard & Poor´s and Fitch Ratings.
Key Success Factors
- Transmission network: PGCIL presently owns and operates a transmission network of about 107,500 ckm of transmission lines and 185 EHVAC and HVDC substations having transformation capacity of more than 206,000 MVA with an availability of its transmission network more than 99 per cent, and it wheels about 50 per cent of total power generated in the country.
- Inter-State linking: The company is also taking adequate measures for strengthening the inter-State and inter-regional links for enhancing the capacity of the national grid. At present, a national grid with inter-regional power transfer capacity of about 38,550 MW has been established. Now, with the commissioning of the Raichur-Solapur 765 kV single circuit transmission line by PGCIL on 31 December 2013, the Southern grid was synchronously interconnected with the rest of the national power grid, accomplishing the goal of ¨One Nation-One Grid-One Frequency.¨
- The green corridor: It´s an ambitious plan for the country with an investment of over Rs 43,000 crore. PGCIL is currently working on the initial plan of the project and expects that work would commence in the 12th Five-Year Plan. The idea is to erect and use the grid network, especially for renewable resources.
- Development plans: Power Grid has undertaken development of high capacity transmission corridors for evacuation of a large quantum of power from various Independent power producers mainly coming up in resource-rich States like Odisha, Jharkhand, Sikkim, Madhya Pradesh, Chattisgarh, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, etc. This power is required to be transmitted to load centres located across the States and regions. Accordingly, implementation of 11 high capacity power transmission corridors (HCPTCs) has been planned by the company in consultation with CEA, IPPs and beneficiaries. CERC has already granted regulatory approval for 11 HCPTCs at an estimated cost of Rs 75,000 crore.
- Performance: For FY14, the company´s turnover and net profit was Rs 115,721 crore and Rs 4,497 crore respectively. As on 31 March 2014, total fixed assets were Rs 96,504 crore.
- Future plans: PGCIL has the experience of constructing 765kV UHVAC and +-500kV HVDC transmission system. The company is now working on next higher transmission voltages of +-800kV HVDC and 1,200kV UHVAC system. The company is currently establishing two +-800kV, 6,000 MW HVDC bi-pole lines: one from the northeastern region to the northern region and the other from the western region to the northern region. The 1,200 Kv (The world´s highest voltage) UHVAC technology is being developed by the company with participation from indigenous manufacturers of equipment; the 1200 kV test lines are charged at 1200 kV National Test Station Bina, MP, and field tests are under progress.
- PGCIL has planned a capital investment of Rs 100,000 crore.
- PGCIL presently owns and operates a transmission network of about 107,500 ckm of transmission lines.
- It´s an ambitious plan for the company with an investment of over Rs 43,000 crore.
|Parameter ||Details |
||Electric Utility |
||New Delhi, India |
||Transmission & |
||Rs. 15,597 cr |
||10,000 (2012) |
|Key financials |
|Project ||Location ||Capacity (MW) |
||Rs. 15,597 cr
||Rs. 13,163 cr |
||Rs. 2,543 cr
||Rs. 5,377 cr |
||Rs. 8,349 cr |
||Rs. 3,253.66 cr
||Rs. 2,673 cr |
||Rs. 4,079.38 cr
||Rs. 3,427 cr |
||Rs. 4,547.58 cr
||Rs. 4,312 cr |
||Rs. 9.32 |
Advertise Here [300 W x 250 H pixels]
17 Oct 2016
I wish to start pvc / pp electric wire unit in Delhi. What kind of information I can get if I subscribe for your magazine
Sarfaraj Bilakhiya Says:
20 Sep 2016
Pls invite me all auction in gujarat
20 Jun 2016
we are doing business developing for solar power ,thermal power , customer supporting and we have 45 mw splar power on hand needs investors.....
pls call +910842559230