The Department of Energy was created on 24th April, 1990 consequent upon bifurcation of the erstwhile Irrigation and Power Department. Orissa is the first State in the Country to take up Power Sector Reform to ensure stable and quality power at a reasonable cost. The Energy Department has Public Sector Undertakings viz: Grid Corporation of Orissa Limited (GRIDCO), Orissa Power Transmission Corporation Ltd (OPTCL), Orissa Hydro Power Corporation Ltd (OHPC) and Orissa Power Generation Corporation Limited (OPGC) under its Administrative control. The Orissa Electricity Regulatory Commission (OERC), which is a quasijudisial independent body, ensure a transparent regulatory regime in the power sector of the State. To govern various aspects of power sector coordinating with all central and state level power utilities in a manner that the resources and activities are judiciously targeted towards betterment of the society. Formulates plans, policies, acts, rules and undertakes developmental activities. Inspects and certifies all electrical installations in the state for adherence/compliance to acts, rules and safety standards. Collects
electricity duty against energy sold. Investigates for expansion of generation, transmission and utilization of electricity
The Department of Power (Electricity), Government of Assam is primarily responsible for providing adequate and quality power to the people of the state. To achieve this objective, the department formulates policies and programmes and monitors implementation thereof to achieve the objective of providing power to the state. The Department provides a legal and policy framework for smooth functioning of the delivery system and coordinated development of the power sector in the state.
The development of Electric power generation and supply somehow could not receive due attention and priorities in the erstwhile integrated state of Bihar. Inspite of being the second most populous state endowed with all natural resources, the state had the distinction of having the least capacity of power generation. The state had a paltry 1500 MW installed capacity i.e. a meagre 20 watts per capita against national average of 100 watts per capita.
The commissioning of the two sets of hydro electric generators having capacities of 100 KW and 56 KW at Leimakhong micro hydel station in 1930 by the then Manipur State Hydro Electric Board marked the beginning of the use of electricity in Manipur. The royal palace and the main area of Imphal town enjoyed electricity generated from this captive hydel station. During the second world war, two more diesel generating sets of 62 KW and 46 KW capacities were installed at the old Imphal Power House by the armed forces for electrification of Imphal and its suburbs. The capacity remained the same without further capacity addition till the end of the first five year plan (1951-56) of the post independence period.